Step 1: Cutting of Hair
- a. Wipe the scissors with an alcohol wipe.
- b. Select a long thin strip of hair (equal to the diameter of a pencil or a straw when placed in the Collection Foil) and cut the hair sample as close to the scalp as possible. This hair sample can be taken from any part of the head.
You should collect 90 to 120 strands of hair. More strands are needed if the hair is less than 1.5 inches long or if hair is extremely thin. Collect from several locations if hair is very short.
Step 2: Preparing the Hair Sample
- a. Place the root ends of the sample at the EDGE of the Collection Foil where it is marked a. PLACE ROOT END HERE. (Fig. A)
- b. Crimp the tab end over the root ends of the sample. (Fig. B)
- c. Straighten hair to full length along center crease of the foil keeping the root ends together at the edge of the foil. (Fig. C)
- d. Fold the Collection Foil in half along the center line. (Fig. D)
- e. Fold the Collection Foil lengthwise again. (Fig. E)
The Sample is now ready to be placed into the Hair Specimen Pouch.
Step 3: Mailing Your Sample
- a. Place the Collection Foil in the Hair Specimen Envelope. Seal the envelope with the Security Label provided on the Specimen ID card. (Fig. A)
- b. Place the Specimen ID card in a safe place, as you will need this ID Number and Passcode to register your test and obtain your results.
- c. The parent/guardian must initial and date the Security Label, and confirm the hair sample type.
- d. Place the sealed Hair Specimen Envelope in the Clear Pouch. (Fig. B)
- e. Seal the Clear Pouch and place in the pre-paid Shipping Mailer.
The Specimen is now ready for shipment.
Obtaining the Results
Once you have mailed the hair sample, you must register your test at www.hairconfirm.com/register to obtain your results. You will need your Specimen ID Number, Passcode and email address to register.
The results will be available approximately 2-3 business days after the hair sample is received by our laboratory. Please note that lab processing times may vary.
For Customer Support and referral counseling information please call us toll-free at 888-5-CONFIRM.
Our Customer Support Agents are available Monday thru Friday, 6:00 am – 4:00pm PST (excluding holidays).